Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

When is my court date?

Contact the clerk of the court where your case is scheduled to be heard. Provide the clerk your name and case number or case type, and the clerk will tell you your court date. 


How much money do I owe?

Give your name and case number or case type to the court clerk, and the court clerk will tell you how much you owe. 


Can I get an extension on my speeding ticket?

The court clerk can grant a one-time continuance for two weeks.


Has my child support been paid?

You must contact the Kansas Payment Center to find out this information:

Kansas Payment Center
P.O. Box 758599
Topeka, KS 66675-8599


How can I get my child support lowered or increased?

You must file a motion with the court to lower or increase your child support. There is also a filing fee for post-decree motions about child support, visitation (parenting time), and custody. You are not required to have an attorney for this procedure, but it is recommended. 

How can I find out whether a case has been filed against a person? Can I get a record of that case?

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation provides criminal record searches.

You can also request court records from Kansas courts


How do I get a divorce without being represented by an attorney?

Kansas Legal Services' All About Divorce webpage includes forms, instructions, and access to live help.

Kansas Judicial Council divorce forms are for people who are seeking divorce without the help of an attorney. 

A civil case has been filed against me. Will the court appoint a lawyer to represent me?

No. The right to have a lawyer appointed to represent you applies only in criminal cases. In civil cases, each party generally must pay for his or her own lawyer.


Can I see juvenile court records?

Records from child in need of care cases are closed to the public. The official file in a juvenile offender case is open to the public. The court may close the file when the youth is younger than 14 years old and the judge determines closing the file is in the best interest of the child. Information about victims and alleged victims of sex offenses is not open to the public under any circumstance.


Can I look through a court file?

If the file is open to the public, you can look at it and photocopy anything from it, but you cannot remove the file from the clerk’s office.


Can I request court records by phone call or email to the court clerk's office?

Yes, but you might be asked to complete a records request form. Courts can require your request to be in writing. 


If I go to the court clerk’s office, will court staff give me a record immediately?

Court clerk staff will likely ask you to fill out a record request form. Factors that will affect how quickly your request is filled include staffing and the location where the record is stored. Newer records are more likely stored electronically, and they are easier to access. Older records may be in paper form and stored offsite. Court clerk staff will tell you how long it should take to provide the record you requested. 

Find a District Court

Back to top